Since 1920, St. John’s has had a legacy of planning wisely and boldly building to meet the needs of its expanding mission:
The year before Royal Oak becomes a city, St. John’s becomes a parish.
St. John’s had the largest Sunday school in the Diocese requiring the building of an education wing.
St. John’s engaged in local efforts to work for peace, justice and the protection of the environment.
Generous financial gifts enable the purchase and installation of the Schantz pipe organ
St. John’s began in 1902 as a mission of the Episcopal Church with the gathering of three families in the basement of the old Royal Oak school building
Land at the corner of 11 Mile and Woodward was purchased and the first service in the new building was held in 1926
St. John’s celebrated the dedication of the sanctuary described in the Daily Tribune as having a roof that is ‘vaulted toward the heavens.’
St. John’s opens the New to You Resale Shop and Open Hands Food Pantry
Installed elevator tower, along with accessible ramp to improve access to every floor
Completed significant masonry repairs and window replacement in the original church building